Reasons for working as a supply teacher:
- A third of teachers took the role out of choice.
- Almost 30% of teachers stated that they were retired.
- Teachers (38%) stated that they were supply teachers because they were unable to find permanent work. This underlines the difficultly that
many supply teachers are having in obtaining the permanent roles that they need.
- More women teachers took supply work because of a lack of choice, with 41% stating that they were unable to find permanent work.
- Younger teachers had also taken on the role out of necessity rather than choice, with 84% of 20 to 30 year olds stating that they had been
unable to find permanent work.
- This pattern was also repeated more generally for teachers under 50, with 63% of 31 to 40 year olds and 56% of 41 to 50 year olds also
stating that they were unable to find permanent work
WHICH OPTION IS RIGHT FOR YOU?
Supply gives you the flexibility for a home/work life balance so whether you are raising a family, retired, running your own business, have a part time contract elsewhere we can fit in around your
other commitments - you choose where you work and when you work! Whilst the work is set, you are expected to teach to the best of your ability in the lessons you are covering, a baby sitter is not an
option for the school!
LONG TERM & FIXED TERM CONTRACTS
A long term role allows you to build relationships with pupils and staff and become part of the team. However you will be expected to do the role of a permanent member of staff, which may includes
aspects such as:- PPA, parents evening, reports if applicable, school trips and staff meetings.